We respect your rights to privacy under the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) (Act), and are required to comply with the National Privacy Principles in respect of the collection, use, disclosure and handling of personal information. The Act provides additional protection for health information.
In general terms, it is any information that can be used to identify you and includes your name, address, telephone number or email address. It may include information concerning your health, any disability, and health services provide to you.
Collection and use of personal information
We primarily collect personal information in the following circumstances:
- Through a registration form
- During a consultation
- In a telephone conversation with you
- Information you include in a letter or email
- To process the purchase by you of products or services
- To provide you with further information about our services, at your request
- To send correspondence (e.g. mailed brochures) or other communications at your request
- To provide you with access to protected areas of our website at www.connecthearing.com.au (Website)
- To book an appointment, at your request
- To process your entry into a competition
- In relation to your employment application
If you do not provide this information, then we may not be able to provide you with the services or products that you have requested. We may also collect information about you from persons or sources other than yourself.
However where such information is in connection with the provision of our health services to you, we will only do this with your consent, or, in the case of an emergency during which you are unable to provide consent, where it is necessary in order to treat you.
Other sources from which we may collect information about you include treating specialists, family members, friends, carers, employers and hospitals in which you have been treated.
This information may include:
- Mailing or street address
- e-mail address
- Information concerning your health and any disabilities
- Your treatment history
- Services and products provided to you
- Records of communications with you
- Requests made by you
- Transaction details associated with a purchase of goods or services from us
- Credit card and account details (including conducting credit verification checks) when processing transaction
- Any additional information provided by you to us.
We may use personal information for purposes including the following:
- To provide you with our services and products and send communications requested by you
- For internal administration, management, quality control, marketing, planning, product or service development and research; to answer enquiries, and provide information or advice about existing and new products or services
- To conduct account management and payment processing including billing, external payment and accounting systems
- To conduct competitions run by us
- To process employment applications
- Any purpose made known to you at the time at the time of collection of your personal information.
We will not send you direct marketing communications without your consent. At any time you may opt-out of receiving marketing communications from us by contacting us (see details below) and we will ensure that your name is removed from our mailing list.
We use general, aggregated information to generate statistics to improve the usefulness of our services and products. Such information does not include personal information.
Disclosure of information
We may disclose your information in circumstances including the following:
To Medicare and other public agencies that may require evidence of your treatment, private health insurers, pharmacies and government bodies
To our related companies, contractors or service providers for the purposes of operation of our business, fulfilling orders by you, hosting our Website or information systems, delivering products, and otherwise providing services and products to you
To third parties to provide you with care or treatment. Other sources to which we may disclose information about you include treating specialists, family members, and carers
As required or authorised under law or in co-operation with any governmental authority, or as otherwise permitted under the Privacy Act 1988 and applicable State and Territory health legislation.
Where information is disclosed to third parties, we do so on a confidential basis and take all reasonable measures to ensure that such third parties do not use the information for any purpose other than that for which it was provided, or disclose the information to any other party.
We do not sell or rent the personal information we collect. We may share general, aggregated information with advertisers, market researchers, sponsors, content providers and other third parties with whom we have commercial arrangements. However, any such information is de-identified so that it does not include personal information.
Security of your personal information
We will take reasonable steps to protect personal information from misuse and loss and from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure. We may hold your information in either electronic or hard copy form. Personal information is destroyed or de-identified when no longer needed or required to be kept by law.
Access and correction
You may request access to any personal information we hold about you at any time by contacting us (see details below). Where we hold information that you are entitled to access, we will endeavour to provide you with suitable means of accessing it (e.g. by emailing or mailing it to you, or inspecting the record).
If you are not entitled to access information, we will provide you with reasons why. If you believe that personal information we hold about you is incorrect, incomplete or inaccurate, then you may request amendment of it. We will consider if the information requires amendment. If we amend information relating to your health, we will mark the original information appropriately but may not delete it, as it may be necessary by law for us to retain a complete record.
If we do not agree that there are grounds for amendment then we will provide you with reasons why, and add a note to the personal information stating that you disagree with it.